Thursday, August 30, 2012

July in the Edible Schoolyard

JULY in the Edible Schoolyard.  I'm afraid I'm a bit behind getting these photos posted.  It was a busy July and the garden is in full bloom.  My interns, Ben and Laura, all of our gardeners who adopted a plot, and I are seeing the fruit of our labors.  The ESY is looking really good and everything is growing well.  We have gotten a lot of compliments on how good the garden looks this year.  Thank you all!

I took Organic Gardening 101 from our local Watauga County Cooperative Extension Center and it was a fantastic experience.  I highly recommend this most affordable course (4 half days for $20).  Not only did we have guest speakers every day, but we visited several local home gardens.  I learned so much about garden planning and layout for beneficial insects, preparing our garden space, sources for seeds and seedlings, starting seeds, consecutive planting, container gardening, organic vegetable pest management, weed control, plant disease management, garden tools, soil and soil tests, vermi-composting, cover crops and green manures, composting, WOW!  We exchanged ideas, asked a million questions, and had a wonderful time.  I believe this course is offered every year.  http://watauga.ces.ncsu.edu/?page=home 

Here are some photos from the July ESY:


































Now on to August--Happening Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment